Monday, February 8, 2010

ASKING QUESTIONS

So I wanted to share an experience that I had today regarding using coupons. Two days ago I headed into Albertson's to get a deal on some diapers. There is a coupon out for $4.00 off of Diaper Basics (the Albertson's brand of diapers) with a purchase of $7.00 or more. I had heard the diapers were on sale, so I headed over there to see and sure enough they were. I picked up two boxes of the diapers since I had two coupons, and went to check-out. The first coupon scanned just fine, but the second one beeped (AAHHH!) The cashier was very nice and checked the coupon out, reading the wording and saying he was not sure what was wrong. He asked another checker, who looked at the coupon, stated that there was not a correct bar code on the coupon, and that it was fraudulent. I was of course embarrassed, I informed them I had gotten the coupon off of a valid coupon source, the numbers on the coupon were different, and there was even the watermark on the coupon (a few things to check to make sure the coupon is valid as I know there are fraudulent ones out there). The checker voided off the first coupon and told me they couldn't use them. I did buy the diapers, but the deal was not that good.

I went home and looked up the diapers on-line and found the company e-mail. I e-mailed them asking whether the coupon was good or not. I received a reply the next day, apologizing for the misunderstanding and that the coupon was good and the store had been notified of the problem. I thought that was the end, and was glad to know I had not been trying to use a bad coupon, and sometimes that is just the way it goes.

Well, today I got a call from the local store manager. He first apologized for the hassle and that the coupon had not been taken as it should have. They have a two page list of coupons that are frauds and he felt the checkers must have just been misinformed. Anyway, he was very nice, and said they had just had a meeting to let all the checkers know this coupon is valid, and to apologize there would be a gift card waiting for me the next time I go into the store!! What a great surprise, and such a nice apology at that. I had not intended to get anything out of it, other than to know if I could use the coupon, and if I should spread the word or not, but WOW!

So long story short, make sure to stick-up for yourself using the knowledge you have, but don't get mean. The checkers are trying their best to help the customers, and with all the bad coupons out there, it may be yours that is not taken. You can just leave without the item, or still buy it as I did, and then it doesn't hurt to do some checking around and even sending the company an e-mail can't hurt. You never know what will come your way

SIDE NOTE: To get the Baby Basic coupon go to http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/02/41-baby-basics-diaper-coupon.html where Money Saving Mom has a post and a link for the coupon. There is also a link to check and see if the diapers are sold in a store near you.

Thanks Money Saving Mom for the tip on the coupon!

No comments:

Post a Comment